16 Mar Chorizo and Chicken Empanadas
Foodie Friday: Dig into these all round well loved crispy Chorizo and Chicken Empanadas for a burst of flavour.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Servings: 18 serves
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 chorizo sausage, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 350 g chicken mince
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 100 g finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tbs chicken stock
- For the pastry
- 750 g plain flour
- 150 g olive oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 300 g cold water
- 1 egg, for brushing the pastry
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, chorizo and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the chicken mince, paprika, cumin, sun-dried tomatoes and chicken stock and cook for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through.
- Set the mixture aside in a bowl to cool completely.
- To make the pastry, place the plain flour, olive oil, baking powder, salt and water into a food processor and mix until combined.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for 2 minutes or until it comes together in a bowl. Allow the pastry to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius (fan-forced).
- Roll the pastry out until it’s 2mm thick. Cut out 12cm diameter circles and set aside.
- Place a heaped tablespoon of the mixture into the middle of one of the pastry circles.
- Brush the visible pastry around the edges with water.
- Fold the pastry over to make a half-circle shape. Use a fork to crimp the edges together.
- Place onto a flat baking tray and continue with the remaining pastry circles and mixture.
- Brush the pastry with a lightly beaten egg.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with chutney, guacamole or spicy sauce.