Foodie Friday: Celebrate the start of spring with this deliciously light lemon and honey chicken salad. It is a simple meal to whip up and is a tasty combination of both sweet and zesty flavours.
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice, extra
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup mint leaves, half the leaves finely chopped
- 4 x 200g chicken breast fillets, each sliced into thirds
- 200g podded (from 1kg unpodded) fresh or frozen broad beans
- 1/2 (200g) garlic ciabatta loaf (see notes), halved lengthways, torn into small pieces
- Large handful of mache (see notes) or baby spinach
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 125g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cucumber, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine lemon zest and juice, honey, 1 ½ tablespoons oil and chopped mint in a large bowl. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Add chicken, stir to coat, then place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Meanwhile, blanch broad beans in boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Remove tough outer skins. Set aside.
- Place ciabatta on a baking tray and grill for 4-5 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Preheat a chargrill pan to high. Cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side until caramelised and cooked through.
- Toss broad beans, ciabatta, mache, chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and whole mint leaves in a large bowl.
- Whisk together mustard and remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Season. Divide salad among plates, pour over dressing and top with chicken to serve.
Garlic ciabatta is available from supermarkets. Mache, also known as lamb’s lettuce, is available from some greengrocers.