02 Nov Peri-Peri Chicken with Spanish Rice
Foodie Friday: This Spanish-inspired feast is loaded with colours and flavours. The recipe caters for 8 serves so make the most of it and invite your friends around for a fiesta!
Prep: 1hr 45 mins
Cook: 55 mins
- 8 large Coles RSPCA Approved Chicken Thigh Cutlets
- 1 corn cob, husk and silk removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved, thinly sliced
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (40g) pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves
- 1 baby cos lettuce, leaves separated
- Lime wedges, to serve
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of brown sugar, extra
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, seeded, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 green capsicum, seeded, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 chorizo sausages, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) medium-grain white rice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- To make the peri-peri marinade, place all the ingredients in a mortar and pound with a pestle until a smooth paste forms. (Alternatively process in a small food processor).
- Place the chicken in a bowl. Add peri-peri marinade and rub into the chicken. Cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight to marinate.
- To make the Spanish rice, heat the oil in a large deep frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion, combined capsicum and chilli, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins until soft. Transfer to a bowl.
- Cook the chorizo in the pan, turning occasionally, for 5 mins or until lightly browned and fat renders. Stir in the rice, garlic, paprika, cumin and coriander. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins. Return capsicum mixture to the pan. Stir in tomato and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 25 mins or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Set aside, covered, for 10 mins to stand. Season.
- Meanwhile, preheat chargrill on high. Cook corn for 8 mins or until tender. Use a sharp knife to carefully cut corn into pieces.
- Whisk the oil, vinegar, oregano and sugar in large bowl until the sugar dissolves. Season. Add the corn, cucumber, tomato, onion, olives and coriander. Toss to combine.
- Heat a lightly oiled chargrill or frying pan or over medium heat. Cook the chicken, turning occasionally, for 12 mins or until skin is browned and crisp and chicken is cooked through.
- Arrange the lettuce on a serving platter. Top with the chicken and salad. Serve with lime wedges and Spanish rice.