Foodie Friday: A foolproof risotto complete with everything that is yummy about risottos – rice, wine, parmesan and of course, mushrooms.
- 500g button mushrooms
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1⁄4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups (300g) arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 60g butter, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 3 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, torn
- Sour cream, to serve
- Whizz half the mushroom in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Bring 5 cups (1.25 litres) water and stock cubes to the boil in a saucepan, then reduce to barely a simmer. Heat half the oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion, cook for 3 minutes, add chopped mushroom and half the garlic, cook for 3 minutes, stirring often, then season and deglaze the pan with half the vinegar. Stir in rice, add wine and reduce by half. Add hot stock a ladleful at a time, stirring until stock is absorbed before adding the next, for 15-17 minutes until rice is al dente. Stir in half the butter and the parmesan, remove from heat, cover with a lid and stand for 2 minutes to steam.
- Melt remaining butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add remaining garlic and mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes, then deglaze the pan with remaining vinegar and stir in parsley. Serve risotto topped with mushrooms, sour cream, and extra parmesan.