15 Mar Simple Asian Short Ribs
Foodie Friday: Ribs don’t always have to be covered in smoky bbq sauce, although it is very delicious! These Asian Beef Short Ribs are a great alternative. A fantastic way to enjoy some great Australian Beef combined with tasty Asian flavours.
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 3 hrs
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2kg beef short ribs (see notes)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 bunch bok choy
- 1 cup (250ml) light soy sauce
- 1 firmly packed cup (250g) brown sugar
- 4-star anise
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup (125ml) rice wine vinegar
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Chinese broccoli, to serve
- Sliced red chili, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Heat oil in a flameproof casserole over medium-high heat. Season the beef, then in batches, cook for 3-4 minutes until browned all over. Remove from pan.
- Add the onion and carrot, then cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until browned. Add the soy, sugar, star anise, garlic, vinegar, stock, sesame oil and two-thirds of the spring onion and bring to a simmer.
- Add beef, then cover and transfer to the oven.
- Roast for 2 1/2-3 hours until meat is tender and falling off the bone.
- Steam rice and prepare bok choy by blanching in boiling water or lightly pan frying.
- Serve beef, rice and bok choy with chili and remaining spring onion.