12 May Carrot and Ginger Soup with Yogurt
Foodie Friday: Feel better and soothe your cold with this warm Ginger and Carrot soup.
- Olive oil spray
- 1 large brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 500g sweet potato (kumara), peeled, coarsely chopped
- 4 large (about 600g) carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1L salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- 130g (1/2 cup) low-fat natural yoghurt
- Chopped fresh chives, to serve
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Spray with olive oil spray. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic, ginger and cumin. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Add the sweet potato, carrot, and stock. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place half the sweet potato mixture in the jug of a blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer the soup to a clean saucepan. Repeat with the remaining sweet potato mixture. Place the soup over low heat and stir until heated through. Season with pepper.
- Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Top with yoghurt and chives to serve.