07 Mar Checklist for the Perfect Kitchen Renovation
Harrington Kitchens is well known for creating quality kitchens that are individually designed for your home and lifestyle. We have put together a checklist to follow before renovating your kitchen.
- Existing Space – Consider your existing kitchen space and determine what works best and what doesn’t. Take note of what you would like to change, such as any structural alterations, movement of plumbing and walls or adding windows, doors and electrical positions.
- Budget – It is important to have a good idea of your budget before you talk to your chosen kitchen professionals and start on any designing. Make a list of your priorities so your designers can create a kitchen that matches your expectations.
- Kitchen Style – Think about the relationship between your kitchen and the rest of your home. Will you design your new kitchen to blend in with your existing style or go with a fresh look to add a new feel to your home? Look at the function of your existing kitchen and think about the space in an alternative way.
- Kitchen Layout – Deciding on your kitchen layout can be one of the most important decisions when choosing to renovate your kitchen. The layout of your kitchen will have a big impact on your lifestyle – think about how you can cook, clean, eat and socialize in your kitchen.
- Efficient Lighting – The kitchen is one room where good lighting is a must, especially for safety reasons. Your kitchen needs a combination of light sources which are not only task lighting for workspaces and cook tops but also decorative lighting to create ambience and dimmable lighting above dining areas.
- Kitchen Appliances – Write a list of what kitchen appliances you require and what dimensions you will be using in your new kitchen as this will help determine your layout. Keep in mind that you will need to choose appliances with similar finishes and styles to keep a consistent look in your kitchen.
- Clean up Location – As your kitchen bin collects household rubbish as well as food scraps from the kitchen, it is best to place it in an easily accessible position. A good bin location is usually under or next to the sink – on the opposite side to the dishwasher so that you can scrape your dishes, rinse – then stack. While you are thinking about your bin system, also remember to include a recycling section to sort your trash efficiently.
- Dishwasher Placement – Place your dishwasher next to your sink to avoid dripping cookware across your kitchen when packing your dishwasher after rinsing items. It is also great for plumbing purposes to position your dishwasher near the taps so you can connect them to the drain. If possible, ensure it is not located next to a wall, so you can access your dishwasher from both sides when it is open.
- Space between Bench Tops – Remember to allow space between each bench top area for opening drawers, cabinets and appliances such as the oven and dishwasher. Allow room for you to move comfortably around and stand in front of these appliances when they are open.
- Storage Areas – Adequate storage space is crucial in any kitchen regardless of its size. Assess your storage needs and be clever about the use of space you have. Think about what you need to store away and what you want to display. To make it easier it is a good idea to write a list of kitchen appliances you need to store so you can determine how much cupboard or pantry space you need to plan for.
- Power Outlets – Add multiple power points along your kitchen splashback and inside your appliance cabinets so you will have access to electricity whenever you need it. As we tend to have more than just a toaster and kettle in the kitchen, include outlets for your coffee machine, food processors and blenders so you can use many of your appliances at the same time.
- Finishes and Detailing – You will need to think about the details of your new kitchen – the finishes of the bench tops, splashback, cabinets, flooring and walls. It is a good idea to visit a kitchen showroom such as Harrington Kitchens so you can physically see different kitchen styles, finishes and detailing to help you determine what you like and get some inspiration.
Our designers here at Harrington Kitchens consider your needs and lifestyle while designing your dream kitchen to ensure that all bases are covered and to make sure you get the most out of your kitchen.
Harrington Kitchens offers a wide variety of kitchen design and styles including:
- French Provincial Kitchens
- Hampton Style Kitchens
- Modern Kitchens
- Classic Kitchens
- Laminate Kitchens
- Timber Kitchens
- Polyurethane Kitchens
- Country Kitchens
- Outdoor Kitchens
- Modern Farmhouse Kitchens
For more information on our various kitchen designs, please visit our Gallery. Our Gallery brings together a selection of our custom kitchen designs ranging from traditional to contemporary kitchens. Each kitchen style has the flexibility to work in any home environment and can be designed to suit all tastes and budgets.
The entire Harrington Kitchens team is focused on designing kitchens that utilise premium materials and offer each and every customer the highest level of service. Harrington Kitchens partners with the best quality kitchen suppliers within the kitchen manufacturing industry and employs experienced and professional tradesmen to ensure the longevity of your custom designed kitchen.
For a free quote and free design consultation
Please contact us at Harrington Kitchens on (02) 4647 4474 or submit an online enquiry. Alternatively you are welcome to visit the Harrington Kitchens Showroom at 12 Graham Hill Road Narellan NSW or 5 Old Hume Highway, Mittagong NSW.
See more great kitchen ideas in our Online Gallery.