Foodie Friday: Your classic, easy to make Chicken Parmigiana with Sweet Potato Mash is perfect for this weekend’s cooking in the kitchen.
- 400 g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes with basil, onion and garlic
- 2 small skinless chicken breasts, fat trimmed
- 20 basil leaves
- 270 g jar 97% fat free sundried tomatoes, drained
- 270 g jar char-grilled capsicum or roasted pepper strips, drained
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 800 g sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 1/2cm dice
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- basil leaves, extra, to serve
- 1/2 red chilli, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- Spread ¼ cup diced tomato in the base of a large ovenproof dish.
- Halve each chicken breast lengthways to form 4 thin breast steaks. Using a rolling pin, pound steaks between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to 5mm thickness. Arrange chicken on tomatoes in pan base; layer each with basil leaves, sun-dried tomatoes pieces and capsicum. Pile on spinach, spoon over remaining diced tomatoes and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake for 20 minutes until chicken is cooked and melted cheese has browned.
- Place sweet potato in a steaming basket over a medium saucepan of boiling water; steam for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Discard water and return potato to the hot dry saucepan. Add ¼ cup milk and mash with a potato masher until smooth, adding additional milk if required for desired consistency.
- Divide sweet potato and chicken between serving plates, sprinkle with basil.
- Serve with fresh chilli for extra heat.
Recipe: Live Lighter