Foodie Friday: There’s something about curry that instantly makes you feel warm. And the same goes for soup. So, it figures that this amazing Japanese Egg and Pork Curry Soup is the perfect combination for a warming winter dinner.
Prep: 15 Mins
Cook: 35 Mins
- 8 cups (2L) beef stock
- 1 tbs sunflower oil
- 2 long green shallots, white part finely chopped, green part shredded
- 100g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2/3 cup (100g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 tbs curry powder
- 1 tbs each mirin and sake
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 270g udon noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
- Nori sheets and bonito flakes (optional – from Asian food shops), to serve
SAKE AND MIRIN PORK
- 2 tbs sunflower oil
- 500g pork mince
- 2cm piece (10g) ginger, finely grated
- 1 tbs each mirin and dark soy sauce
- 2 tbs sake
- 2 tsp raw sugar
- To make the soup, heat stock in a saucepan over high heat until hot, then cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a second saucepan over medium-high heat. Add finely chopped shallot and cook, stirring regularly, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add butter and cook, stirring occasionally, until foaming. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes to cook flour through. Add curry powder and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until well combined. In 2 batches, gradually whisk hot stock into curry mixture. Bring to a simmer, stir through mirin, sake and soy, reduce heat to low and cover to keep hot.
- Meanwhile, for the sake and mirin pork, heat oil in a frypan over high heat. Add pork and ginger, and cook, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon, for 4 minutes or until browned. Add remaining ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- To cook the eggs, bring a saucepan of water to the boil, carefully add eggs and cook for 6 minutes 30 seconds for a soft-set yolk, or until cooked to your liking. Immediately drain and transfer to a bowl of iced water. When cool enough to handle, peel and stand in iced water until needed.
- Bring soup back to the boil. Divide noodles and soup among serving bowls. Top with pork mixture, halved eggs, shredded shallot, nori and bonito, if using, to serve.