Foodie Friday: Not that you ever really need an excuse to dish up a yummy roast dinner, but the weather is starting to get a bit cooler, so now seems like a good a time as any. This Mustard and Herb Crusted Beef is so succulent and full of flavour. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! Combined with the Red Wine Gravy, this meal is just divine.
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1:10 hr
- 1.5kg beef eye fillet
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- Fresh oregano sprigs, to serve
RED WINE GRAVY
- 25g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cups Massel beef stock
- 1/2 cup shiraz
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle beef all over with half the oil. Cook, turning, for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Combine breadcrumbs, parsley, chives, oregano and garlic in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place beef on a board, patting dry with paper towel. Working quickly, spread mustard all over beef. Press breadcrumb mixture all over beef to cover. Place on prepared tray. Drizzle with remaining oil.
- Roast for 50 to 55 minutes, for medium-rare, or until browned and cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, make Red wine gravy: Melt butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until bubbling. Gradually add vinegar, stock, and wine, stirring constantly until smooth. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 3 to 4 minutes or until gravy is thick.
- Serve beef with oregano sprigs and gravy.