Whether it be that you’re not a morning person, you snoozed your alarm or became distracted by daily chores these time saving recipes are great for busy mornings.
MICROWAVE EGG AND VEGETABLE BREAKFAST SANDWICH
- 1 Bagel
- ¾ cup egg whites
- 10-15 fresh spinach leaves
- 1 wedge Laughing Cow Herb & Garlic Cheese
- 2 slices tomato
- 2-4 slices avocado
- Hot Sauce
- Toast bagel thin in the toaster or toaster oven. In a small bowl (I used disposable bowls at the office) add egg whites and spinach leaves, season with salt. Place in microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds, keeping an eye on the eggs so they don’t overflow.
- Smear wedge of cheese on toasted bagel thin and add slices of tomato. Spoon egg out of bowl in a single patty and place on top of cheese and tomato, top with avocado. Season with more salt and hot sauce if desired.
PEANUT BUTTER OVERNIGHT OATS
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 3/4 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp natural salted peanut butter or almond butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or sub coconut sugar, organic brown sugar, or stevia to taste)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- Sliced banana, strawberries, or raspberries
- Flaxseed meal or additional chia seed
- To a mason jar or small bowl, add almond milk, chia seeds, peanut butter, and maple syrup (or other sweetener) and stir with a spoon to combine. The peanut butter doesn’t need to be completely mixed with the almond milk (doing so leaves swirls of peanut butter to enjoy the next day).
- Add oats and stir a few more times. Then press down with a spoon to ensure all oats have been moistened and are immersed in almond milk.
- Cover securely with a lid or plastic wrap and set in the refrigerator overnight (or for at least 6 hours).
- The next day, open and enjoy as is or garnish with desired toppings (see options above).
- Overnight oats will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, though best within the first 12-24 hours.
SPINACH, FETA, AND ARTICHOKE BREAKFAST BAKE
TOTAL TIME: 50 minutes
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, all excess liquid squeezed out
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped artichokes (from can), drained and patted dry
- 1/3 cup diced red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl combine spinach, scallions, artichoke, red pepper, garlic and dill. Pour into the casserole dish spreading evenly.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, parmesan, salt and pepper. Mix in feta cheese and pour over vegetables.
- Bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 32 to 35 minutes.
- Let stand 8 to 10 minutes before cutting into 8 pieces.