Foodie Friday: Continue your Chinese New Year celebrations just a little longer with this delicious Sichuan Beef Noodle Salad. Packed full of all your favourite Asian inspired flavours, it’s perfect to be enjoyed all year ’round.
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 3/4 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns (see Notes)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup (60ml) light soy sauce
- 600g beef rump steak, cut into thin strips
- 200g dried vermicelli rice noodles
- 1/4 cup (60ml) peanut oil or sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (75g) roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 bunch fresh Thai basil, leaves picked (see Notes)
- 1/2 bunch spring onions, sliced on an angle
- 100g sugar snap peas, sliced
- 1 long red chilli, sliced
- Extra lime wedges, to serve
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind Sichuan pepper, garlic and lime zest to a paste. Add 2 tbs soy, then rub over beef. Set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to packet instructions, then drain and cool.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Add half the beef and cook for 3-4 minutes until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining beef, adding another 1 tbs oil. Rest, loosely covered with foil, for 5 minutes.
- For the dressing, combine the rice wine vinegar, lime juice, beef resting juices and remaining 1 tbs soy and oil.
- Toss noodles, beef, dressing and all remaining ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Divide among bowls to serve.