In the mood for baking in your kitchen this weekend? Todays Foodie Friday recipe is a delicious gluten-free banana and blueberry cake.
- 80g solidified coconut oil
- 40g (1/4 cup) coconut sugar
- 1 small lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 35g (1/4 cup) coconut flour
- 2 small bananas
- 85g (3/4 cup) almond meal
- 2 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot (tapioca flour)
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 125ml (1/2 cup) light coconut milk
- 75g (1/2 cup) frozen blueberries, thawed on paper towel
- Rice malt syrup, to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan forced. Grease base and side of a 19.5cm (base measurement) springform cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Use electric beaters to beat the coconut oil, sugar, lemon rind and vanilla in a bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in 1 egg and 1 tbs of the coconut flour. Repeat with the remaining eggs and coconut flour until combined (mixture may curdle slightly).
- Thinly slice half a banana. Drizzle with a little lemon juice to prevent discolouration. Set aside. Use a fork to mash the remaining banana.
- Add the almond meal, arrowroot, baking powder, coconut milk, mashed banana and 1 tbs lemon juice to coconut oil mixture. Stir until combined. Spoon into prepared pan and smooth the surface. Sprinkle with blueberries. Top with sliced banana. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle with rice malt syrup.