25 Jan Coffee Infused French Toast with Banana, Nut Crumble and Yoghurt
Foodie Friday: There’s really not too much to say about this incredible masterpiece of culinary delight – except for OMG! Yummmm! Get in my belly!!
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 6 x 3cm-thick slices brioche, crusts removed
- 300ml milk
- 2 tsp instant coffee granules
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 120g pure icing sugar
- 60g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 bananas, thinly sliced
- Thick Greek-style yoghurt and passionfruit pulp, to serve
- 1/3 cup (35g) almond meal
- 60g plain flour
- 1/4 cup (55g) light muscovado sugar (substitute brown sugar)
- 50g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 2 tbs hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 tbs blanched almonds, chopped
- 2 tbs walnuts, chopped
- For the nut crumble, combine all ingredients in a bowl and, using your fingertips, mix to a crumble texture. Chill until required.
- Place the brioche slices in an airtight container and chill for 1 hour to dry out and harden slightly (this will help with the soaking process).
- Meanwhile, bring milk to the boil in a saucepan over high heat and stir in coffee. Place eggs, 40g icing sugar and a pinch of salt flakes in a bowl. Pour coffee mixture into egg mixture and whisk well to combine. Strain through a sieve into a shallow dish.
- Working in batches if necessary, soak brioche slices in coffee mixture for 15 minutes, then flip and soak for a further 3 minutes. Transfer brioche to a wire rack over a baking tray for 10 minutes to drain.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a baking tray and line with baking paper.
- Melt butter in a non-stick frypan over medium heat. Using a fine sieve, dust brioche slices on both sides with remaining 80g icing sugar. Working in batches if necessary, add brioche slices to pan and cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden and caramelised.
- Remove brioche from pan and transfer to prepared tray. Arrange sliced banana on each brioche slice and top with nut crumble mix. Bake on the top shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes or until crumble is golden brown. Top with yoghurt and passionfruit, and serve immediately.