01 Apr Grilled Lemongrass Beef Rice Paper Rolls
Foodie Friday: These fresh and tasty rice paper rolls are guaranteed to impress in your new kitchen.
- 14 thin lemongrass stalks
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 600g good-quality rump beef, thickly minced
- 200g pork mince
- vegetable oil
- 12 dried rice paper rounds
- Remove the tough outer leaves of the lemongrass. Take two stalks and finely chop the white part only. Trim the hard green tops from the remaining stalks and discard.
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound the chopped lemongrass, garlic, chilli, sugar and pepper. Stir in the fish sauce to create a marinade.
- Place the beef, pork and marinade in a mixing bowl, then knead until all ingredients have combined well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- With wet hands, divide the mixture into 12 portions and roll each into a sausage shape. Carefully thread onto each lemongrass stalk and brush with a little oil. Heat a barbecue on medium and cook, turning every few minutes, until done (about 6-8 minutes).
- Serve on a platter along with the shredded vegetables, herbs and sauces. Place a bowl of warm water in the centre of the table to soften the rice paper.
- Remove the beef from the lemongrass stalks, place in the middle of a softened rice paper round, and add whatever vegetables, herbs and sauces you like to create your own roll.
Recipe: Good Food