Foodie Friday: This Healthy Chicken and Coconut Curry has the same vibrant colours and fragrant flavours as a standard curry. It’s loaded with plenty of fresh vegetables and served with quinoa for a healthier meal that doesn’t disappoint on flavour.
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 1 large red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 long fresh red chillies, chopped
- 1 stick lemongrass, white part only, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander stems and leaves, plus extra leaves to serve
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 3 teaspoons macadamia oil
- 500g chicken breast fillets, coarsely chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) light coconut milk
- 125ml (1/2 cup) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 350g peeled the pumpkin, cut into 2cm pieces
- 200g green beans halved
- 200g snow peas halved diagonally
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 300g (2 cups) cooked quinoa, to serve
- Coarsely chop half the onion. Thinly slice the remaining half. Process the chopped onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, lemongrass, coriander, lime zest and 2 teaspoons of the oil in a food processor until coarse paste forms.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until aromatic. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring for 1- 2 minutes or until aromatic. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Add the coconut milk, stock, and pumpkin and bring to the boil. Partially cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer gently for 10 minutes or until the pumpkin is almost tender
- Add the beans and snow peas to the saucepan and simmer, partially covered, for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir through the fish sauce and lime juice to taste. Serve with the quinoa, sprinkled with extra coriander leaves.