Foodie Friday: Spice up your Friday dinner with this Chana Masala with Yoghurt and Flatbread curry combination. For a summer twist add cherry tomatoes, lime and spring onion as topping.
- 1onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cm piece ginger, chopped
- 2 long green chillies, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil or ghee
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tspground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 800 gm canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 400 gm canned crushed tomatoes
- 60 gm Greek-style yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- Pomegranate molasses, coriander and flatbread, to serve
- Process onion, garlic, ginger and chilli in a small food processor until finely chopped. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, then add onion paste and sauté until fragrant (4-5 minutes). Add spices and stir until fragrant (1 minute). Add fresh tomatoes and cook until starting to soften (2-3 minutes). Add chickpeas and crushed tomatoes, and simmer for flavours to develop (about 15 minutes). Season to taste, stir in yoghurt, drizzle with molasses, top with coriander and serve with flatbread and extra yoghurt.