Foodie Friday: With the long weekend ahead you want to relax, enjoy the warm weather and watch your sporting team win. To get the most out of your weekend follow this easy Mexican Meatball Sub recipe you can make ahead of time to enjoy over the long weekend. It’s the perfect meal to quickly make and serve for any guests!
- 1 pack taco seasoning mixture
- 1kg pork and veal mince
- 1 egg, whisked
- ¾ cup (50g) fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ bunch parsley, leaves chopped
- 120ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small red onions, chopped
- 2 small red capsicums, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can black beans
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 small dinner rolls
- Avocado, coriander (or parsley), lime and sour cream to serve
- Reserve 1 tsp taco seasoning, then combine remaining with minces, egg, breadcrumbs, parsley and season. Form into meatballs using 1 tbs mixture and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbs oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Add half the meatballs and cook for 8-10 minutes, turning, until cooked through. Repeat with remaining balls and oil.
- Wipe pan clean and add 2 tbs oil, onion and capsicum, season and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the reserved taco seasoning, garlic and black beans and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the chopped tomatoes and ½ cup (125ml) water, and bring to a simmer. Return the meatballs to the mixture and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Set aside 8 meatballs, some sauce and remaining ingredients for the subs for lunch.
- Serve meatballs for dinner with avocado, coriander, lime and sour cream.
- For the lunch boxes, slice open the dinner rolls then add the meatballs and sauce. Drizzle a little lime over the avocado so it doesn’t go brown, then add to rolls with coriander.