Foodie Friday: If you haven’t already started thinking about mother’s day it’s not too late! You have just enough time to curate a beautiful breakfast menu of your Mum’s favourite food and trust us, it’ll mean the world to her.
- Make her favourite!
Whether it is a breakfast meal or not she will devour it.
Buy your ingredients and prep whatever you could before the day. Just make sure mum doesn’t get a whiff of it!
Why not spoil mum by delivering her meal in bed with a small dessert, coffee, flowers or a card for a special surprise.
Poached Eggs with Hollandaise sauce and smoked salmon on Turkish Bread
It’s a great breakfast that feels fancy enough to be at a café but easy enough to make at home. Mum will appreciate the effort and thought.
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 Turkish loaf, cut into quarters, toasted
- 50g baby rocket leaves
- 8 slices smoked salmon
- Dill sprigs, to serve
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, plus extra for poaching eggs
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- To make the dill hollandaise, combine the vinegar, peppercorns and shallot in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until vinegar reduces by half. Remove from heat and strain through a fine sieve.
- Place the vinegar mixture and egg yolk in a medium heatproof bowl over a saucepan half-filled with simmering water. Use a balloon whisk to whisk while gradually adding the melted butter in a thin, steady stream. Continue whisking until thick and creamy. Add the lemon juice and dill; taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Add extra vinegar to a deep frying pan filled with water and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce to low and bring to a simmer. Crack an egg into a small cup. Use a large spoon to stir the water to create a whirlpool. Gently slide the egg into the water and poach for 1-2 minutes for a soft poached egg or until cooked to your liking. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining eggs.