08 Feb No-Churn Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt Cake
Foodie Friday: It’s not too long now and summer will be a distant memory. But it’s not over yet! Make the most of these last few weeks of glorious Australian summer and invite the gang around to enjoy this delicious Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt Cake.
Prep: 1 hr mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1kg thick Greek-style yoghurt
- 400g strawberry-flavoured thick Greek-style yoghurt
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 1/4 cups (790g) rice malt syrup
- 50g unsalted butter
- 350g store-bought madeira cake, crumbled
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500g frozen strawberries
- 1 eggwhite
- Strawberries, mint leaves and basil leaves, to serve
- To make the labneh, combine the plain yoghurt and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl. Line a fine sieve with muslin or a clean Chux cloth and place over a bowl. Transfer yoghurt to sieve and fold up muslin to cover. Weigh yoghurt down with a plate and chill overnight to drain excess liquid.
- The next day, place 750g labneh in a bowl (remaining labneh will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week). Add strawberry yoghurt, condensed milk and 1 cup (350g) rice malt syrup, and whisk to combine. Cover and chill until needed.
- Meanwhile, grease the base and sides of a 22cm springform cake pan and line with baking paper. Place the butter and 1/4 cup (90g) rice malt syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until melted and combined. Pour into a heatproof bowl, then add the cake, zest and vanilla, and stir to combine. Transfer to prepared pan and use the back of a spoon to push down to form an even base. Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Pour labneh mixture over base, using a palette knife to smooth. Freeze for 2 hours or until partially set.
- Place frozen strawberries, eggwhite, lemon juice and remaining 1 cup (350g) rice malt syrup in a blender and whiz until smooth and thick. Pour over labneh mixture, smoothing top, and return to the freezer. Freeze for 6 hours or until set.
- Remove cake from pan and top with strawberries, mint and basil to serve.