14 Dec Matt Moran’s Potato Pizza with Italian Sausage
Foodie Friday: Pizza is no longer considered to only be a fast food option with limited flavour choices. Anything goes these days as far a pizza toppings and flavour combinations are occurred. And if made at home, like this recipe, then you can create each pizza to your exact personal taste. Mmmm!
Cook: 1hr 10mins
Makes: 2 pizzas
- 1 large garlic bulb
- 2/3 cup (165ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- Semolina, to dust
- 250g pork and fennel sausages, casings removed
- 1 large desiree potato, very thinly sliced (we used a mandoline)
- 100g fontina cheese, shaved
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced (we used a mandoline)
- 1 bunch oregano, sprigs picked
- 400g strong (baker’s) flour
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- For the pizza dough, combine flour, yeast and 2 tsp salt flakes in a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Add oil and 1 cup (250ml) warm water, and knead for 6 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer dough to a greased bowl, cover and stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, wrap garlic in foil and bake for 45 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, squeeze half the garlic cloves into a bowl and add oil, 1/2 tsp salt and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper. Coarsely mash with a fork to combine. Add remaining garlic cloves and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Increase oven to 250°C. Dust 2 large baking trays with semolina.
- Knock air from pizza dough with a single punch and transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Halve dough and roll each half out to a rough 20cm x 40cm oval. Transfer to prepared trays.
- Combine sausage mince and 2 tbs garlic oil in a bowl and spread over pizza bases. Scatter with potato, cheese, onion and oregano.
- Drizzle pizzas with 2 tbs garlic oil and bake, swapping trays halfway, for 20 minutes or until bases are cooked through.
- Preheat oven grill to high and grill pizzas, 1 at a time and checking regularly (remove oregano if burning), for 3 minutes or until golden.
- Serve pizzas with remaining garlic oil.