13 Jan Summer Pasta Salad
Foodie Friday: Here’s a light and easy summer pasta salad to enjoy through this heat wave.
- 200g yellow button squash, halved, cut into thin wedges
- 2 zucchinis, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced widthwise
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 large bulb fennel, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, seeded, finely chopped
- 200g grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 125ml (1/2 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 300g fusilli or other short dried pasta
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, torn
- 50g (1/3 cup) kalamata olives, halved, pitted
Preheat oven to 210C fan-forced. Combine vegetables and garlic in a large bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, drizzle with 80ml (1/3 cup) oil, then toss well to combine. Divide vegetable mixture among 2 large roasting pans or oven trays. Roast, stirring halfway, for 20 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 2 minutes shorter than the packet instructions; pasta will continue to soften when combined with the roasted vegetables. Drain, then cool under cold running water.
- Toss pasta with vegetables in a bowl. Add vinegar, lemon juice, basil, olives and remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and toss to combine. Serve immediately or at room temperature.