Foodie Friday: The perfect dessert to warm you up – an apple crumble. This recipe is super simple and easy to create with only 10 minutes of prep and 35 minutes of cooking who could resist?
- 5 large apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/3 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 50 g plain flour
- 115 g butter cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius (180 if using fan-forced).
- Grease a large baking dish with butter and set aside.
- Place the peeled and sliced apples into a medium saucepan with the water, caster sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bring to a low simmer for 5-10 minutes or until just softened. Drain off the excess liquid.
- Place the stewed apples into the baking dish.
- To make the crumble, place the oats, brown sugar, plain flour and butter into a bowl. Use your fingers to squeeze and break up the lumps of butter until crumbs have formed and all of the oats and flour are completely combined with the butter (there should be no loose bits left!).
- Sprinkle the crumble over the apple and place into the preheated oven.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes or until the crumble is golden and crunchy.
- Serve immediately with ice-cream or cream.