Foodie Friday: The warm weather means it’s time to get creative in the kitchen with delicious and interesting salads. Put your garden salad to the side for just a minute and give this tomato, watermelon and lemon salad a try!
- 3 x1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 2 seedless lemons, thinly sliced
- 750g heirloom tomatoes (or other tomatoes)
- ¼ watermelon, cut into chunks
- ½ bunch basil, leaves picked
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Place 750ml water and sugar in a saucepan with 3 tsp salt and place over medium heat.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and remove from heat. Cool, then add lemon slices. Cover with baking paper to ensure lemons are submerged and place back on the lowest heat possible. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the lemon rind has become translucent. Drain, then cool completely in the liquid.
- Cut the heirloom tomatoes into quarters and arrange them on a serving platter with the diced watermelon. Add a few slices of the confit lemon and sprinkle with the basil leaves. Season well to taste with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Finish by drizzling over the olive oil and lemon juice.