Watermelon; a classic Summer fruit, perfect for creating a refreshing and simple salad for Foodie Friday.
- 750g piece watermelon, peeled, deseeded
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 200g Greek-style feta
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 bunch fresh mint, leaves picked, large leaves
- 2 spring onion bulbs, roots trimmed, thinly sliced crossways
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Use a sharp knife to cut the watermelon crossways into 5mm-thick slices. Cut each slice into 3cm-wide (base measurement) wedges. Place in a large bowl and set aside until required.
- Spread walnuts evenly over a baking tray and cook in preheated oven for 5 minutes or until toasted. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the lemon dressing, use a fork to whisk together the oil, lemon juice and sugar in a small bowl until well combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the feta in half horizontally. Cut crossways into 1cm-thick slices. Add to the watermelon.
- To serve, add the toasted walnuts, parsley, mint and spring onions to the bowl of watermelon and feta. Drizzle with the lemon dressing and gently toss until well coated. Divide the watermelon salad evenly among serving plates and serve immediately.